Saturday, January 16, 2016

The Once and Future Weird Kids at Gallery 1988


Last weekend was the opening to my solo show "The Once and Future Weird Kids" at Gallery 1988 (East) in Los Angeles, California! I flew on down for the reception and had a great time. Thank you everyone who stopped on by. The show will be viewable in person thru Jan 23rd, and always available online.

View original paintings and prints available at Gallery 1988: here



Pre show - paintings waiting to be hung on the wall. I always love to see these gatherings of paintings. I specifically wanted to create a variety of shapes and objects for this show. Here you can see magnifying glasses I created, a gumball machine painting, some wood panels in the shape of coffins and triangles, as well as some framed art pieces on paper.


Signing up some prints to have available for the show. We created three new prints for this show, and this one is of my lego mystery house piece.



Views of the gallery exhibit installed at Gallery 1988.



Gathering of people at the opening reception on Friday, Jan 8th. I always enjoy meeting people that I chat to online, then get to meet in person finally! So fun to see everyone.


The attendees also got a free enamel pin I designed featuring a magnifying glass and gallery logo.


........................................................................................................................................................

Below are all the paintings that I created for the exhibit! I love mystery stories and there was a loose them of mystery in most of the pieces. Unique characters from mystery tv series like Piorot, or mysteries within the plot of some of my favorite pop-culture movies like The Shining. Some like the lego pieces I felt were mysterious fictional places that I would love to explore in person if I could. 





Come Play With Us, 12 x 12 inches, Gouache, ink on cradled wood panel (Prints available at Gallery 1988)







Believe, 11 x 14" inches, Gouache, ink on cradled wood panel





Damn Fine Dreams, 12" trangle x 1.75" deep Gouache, ink on cradle wood panel (trangle shape) 




 Pinball Wizardesses, 12 x 12 inches, Gouache, ink on cradled wood panel






Sick Tricks Pugsley, 12 x 12 inches, Gouache, ink on cradled wood panel (Original Available at Gallery 1988)



Can't Put a Good Game Down, 7 x 14.25 x 1.75" deep, Gouache, ink on cradle wood panel (coffin shape)








Can't Put a Good Book Down, 7 x 14.25 x 1.75(deep), Gouache, ink on cradle wood panel (coffin shape) 





Goon Dock Friends, 12 x 12 inches, Gouache, ink on cradled wood panel (Prints available at Gallery 1988)


Star Chart, 14 x 14 inches, Gouache, ink, glow-in-the-dark paint on cradled wood panel 



Magnifying Glass - "Cabot Cove" and "Elementary"6.5 x 10.75 inches Gouache, ink, resin on wood cutout (magnifying glass shape) 





Magnifying Glass - Little Grey Cells, 6.5 x 10.75 inches Gouache, ink, resin on wood cutout (magnifying glass shape) 





Mystery House, 11 x 14 inches, Gouache, ink on cradled wood panel (Prints available at Gallery 1988)







The Tower Ruins, 12 x 16 inches, Gouache, ink on cradled wood panel 






Pac-Dot Machine, 11 x 20 inches, Gouache, ink, wood cutout (gumball shape)





Pizza Planchettes - Cheese and Supreme, 5.25 x 6.25 x .75 deep Gouache, ink, resin on wood cutout (Planchette shape)



The Dining Room, 8.25 x 10 inches, Gouache, ink, wood cutout (House shape) 






What a Glorious Evening, 10.25 x 13 (image size), Gouache and ink on paper (framed)
Prints available at Gallery 1988



It's Just a Bunch of Hocus Pocus, 10.25 x 13 (image size), Gouache and ink on paper (framed)




........................................................................................................................................................

The custom shaped cut-out wood pieces I designed myself in illustrator and had cut on our X-Carve that me and my fella bought this fall. It is machine created by Inventables that is an open source kit that you can customize to what you needs are. I had been interested in painting different shapes for quite a while now and had to outsource the cutting before (like with my terrarium shapes or ornaments I've had available in the past). But NOW with the machine we can do all the cutting ourselves and basically the sky's the limit! 


Also want to give a huge shout-out to my fella for putting this whole machine together, troubleshooting it, and babysitting it when a cut was in progress (because of course, the second anyone left something would go wrong!).


Gumball machine cut out of plywood. The lines here are engraved.  


Pieces for "The Dining Room" piece. Here I wanted to try using two thinner pieces of wood to create a single layered piece. 





















With the magnifying glass I just routed out the center area I wanted to paint. Also went with a darker wood that I would leave natural on the outer edge. (Later I would fill the center area with resin to complete the "glass" in the center circle. 

........................................................................................................................................................

That's it for this post of the show. Again, if you are interested in any of the pieces visit the Gallery at: http://nineteeneightyeight.com/collections/nicole-gustafsson-the-once-and-future-weird-kids

Thank you again for everyone for your support in this show and my artwork! - Nicole



1 comment:

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

I was surfing around and landed here. Wow, what great art! Congrats on your show!