Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Steven Universe / Adventure Time show at Gallery Nucleus

Last Saturday was the opening to the Steven Universe / Adventure Time show at Gallery Nucleus in Alhambra, California. The gallery teamed up with Cartoon Network for this exhibit and had signing, and other fun events with creator Rebecca Sugar that night! I love the spirit of these two shows, so they were wonderful to draw inspiration from, and I ended up doing a piece based on Steven Universe. The gems in the tv show are awesome and remind me so much of my D&D party. Nel (my character) would be a mix of Amthyst and Steven, and Garnet is so much like our heavy hitter Stonesunder (can you tell that my mind is in D&D land a lot these days?).

Anyway! Back to the exhibit...the show was super packed from the photos I saw and looked like a grand ole time. The show is up for the rest of the month and can be viewed online. My original painting is sold, but the gallery is doing a licensed print of my piece!


Gems Stick Together
8x13 inches (image size)
Gouache, ink on paper
©Nicole Gustafsson
SOLD



..................................................................................................................................................................


Work in progress of the piece. I get quite a few questions about the materials I use, and this painting was done using Holbein Acryla Gouache on Rives BFK paper. If you are interested in seeing a bit of my process and sneak peeks I post to my instagram account quite a bit.


I also really liked "cookie cats" in the show so had to sneak some of those in the piece. This painting is based on my favorite episode of Steven Universe "Serious Steven", featuring an ancient battlefield being overgrown with strawberries. If you haven't watched the tv show, check it out online at Cartoon Network (they have a few full episodes there). The backgrounds are gorgeous and the characters are super awesome.



Super packed house. Wish I would have flown down for this show, but gearing up for a 2-person show at iam8bit Gallery this September and to say I'm behind is a bit of an understatement. Kicking it in high gear!  (And thanks Eric for the photo! )

1 comment:

Imaginary Confetti Club said...

That is so awesome! I wish I could have went!!!